Start small, finish big
Starting out small can surely take you somewhere big. Although it may seem like you are starting from scratch, well, let’s face it, if you’re a newly graduate, you pretty much are. People seem to have become quite picky these days, especially with the economy and market. So buckle down, get prepared and read these guidelines that could be beneficial for you as a person and as an innovator.
You’ve graduated from college, diploma in hand (or in the mail), and you have a couple of job offers on the table. Other than being one of the lucky graduates in a weak economy, you have a choice to make. On one hand is a high-paying entry level position at a reputable brand in your field. On the other hand is a job offer from a small startup that is just kicking off. You’ve seen their product, believe in their mission, and like their approach, but aren’t sure you want to take on the risk of working at a startup. You’re leaning toward that corporate job and good pay with nice benefits. The smart choice.
Or is it?
Sure, a corporate gig might (initially) pay more than a startup and come with cushy benefits, but there are real, career-defining reasons to heed the siren song of a startup.
Here are 8 reasons why you should take the plunge and enter the startup world instead.
1. You’ll have more responsibility.
2. You’ll be given more opportunities.
3. You’ll be able to do a lot of different things.
4. You will learn from true innovators.
5. Your work will be recognized (as will your failures).
6. You’ll work in an awesome atmosphere.
7. You’ll learn to be frugal.
8. You’ll be instilled with the value of hard work, ownership, and self-sustainability.